Monday, January 19, 2009

Another Chilly Day in Jerusalem

I'm starting to feel as if I'm getting the hang of things around here. I'm slowly getting acquainted with my surroundings, how to get places, where I am physically in East Jerusalem. I started ulpan this morning bright and early at 8:15, but got up an hour earlier to make sure I was on time. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to force myself to get up that early, but I was definitely tired walking to class. It doesn't really feel as if I'm a college student here. It's more like I'm on a vacation, hanging out with college kids my own age, and taking hebrew classes a few days a week... that is until real classes start the 3rd week of February.
It's been pretty chilly here, probably around the lower to mid fifties, maybe hitting 60 a couple of times. At least it's warmer than home. On Shabbat we went to the Regency hotel for dinner which was nice but nothing spectacular. I think I'm either going to be travelling on most fridays or exploring different Shabbat opportunities around Jerusalem but also with friends who are in Israel. I've also decided to take every opportunity I'm offered to travel somewhere. So far I've signed up for a ski trip in February on Mt. Hermon in the very north of Israel, despite my dislike for skiing. Bunny slopes here I come! I've also planned to do a sea to sea hike some time in the future, travel to Tel Aviv, and get to Haifa by doing couch surfing. I've got an amazing country at my fingertips and definitely don't want its resources to go to waste. For the time being though I've just been getting acclimated, going, playing a lot of card games with some pretty great people, and getting excited for when I can travel.
Hope all is well in the states. Let me know how you guys are doing! :-)

P.S. Kristen I'm still alive

No comments:

Post a Comment