Monday, January 12, 2009

Peace in the Middle East Through Ultimate Frisbee

My trip to Israel just got a little more exciting. I recently found out through a friend about a program called Ultimate Peace that's going to hold it's first major event in Tel Aviv in April of this year. I got in contact with the woman who is helping to facilitate the program and it looks like I'm going to be able to help out by getting sponsors, maybe assisting with coaches, and even getting a chance to play in the HAT tournament with some of the best players in the world. I don't know how well I match up to them, but even if I don't play, I'm definitely going to go watch. According to their website, http://www.ultimatepeace.org/about/, their mission is to build bridges of friendship, understanding and fun for youth from different social and cultural backgrounds around the world. What an incredible opportunity for Palestinian and Israeli youth to be able to play not just any game together, but a game that is built on principles of Spirit of the Game, where each and every player is a referee and is responsible for maintaining the true spirit of frisbee on the field. It's like a microcosm of the world right on the field, but instead of using weapons and throwing words of hate back and forth across battle lines, words are used to work things out and the game goes on. I'm really excited Ezra told me about this because I think it's going to make my experience that much more interesting now that I have something to work on and really look forward to while I'm there.
I still haven't begun packing yet and it's getting close to departure time. Knowing my luck, the weather tomorrow is going to delay my flight and I'll miss my connecting flight. Ah well, such is life. I'll just hope for the best and whatever happens happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment